What is Location-Based Mobile Advertising?
June 8, 2017
Location-Based Mobile Advertising (Def): This method of advertising (also known simply as Location Based Advertising) is comprised of digital ads that are served through geo-targeting and whose message is customized for that user, at that moment, in that place. These mobile ads are triggered by the search behavior, website visits or the personal characteristics of the individual.
Why is location such a big deal in today’s advertising?
- 91% of retail sales still occur offline, in physical stores*
- Consumers want ads customized to their location**
- Using mobile location in targeting and creative results in an increase in conversions
- Geotargeting creates easier online-to-offline attribution
The Four Pillars of Location Based Advertising
- Custom Ad Experiences: Ads that are personalized and relevant to the consumer in the exact moment in time are powerful.
- Robust Audience Data: Many data points are available for targeting and customizing ad experiences. All of these data points, when working together, create Micro-Relevance in advertising messages. Consumers are becoming more comfortable with sharing data online and allowing online properties to use this data behind the scenes.
- Strict Geo-targeting: Get down to zip codes – only targeting those that you’re sure fit your target audience.
- Attribution: Connect online to offline! How are the ads influencing purchases in-store? Can you optimize the campaigns based on these conversions?
Layer Targeting for Increased Relevancy
- Demographics – use age, gender, and parental status if applicable to your best customer segments.
- Market – Use zip-code level data to find the micro-markets that convert. Analyze frequently and adjust.
- Remarketing – Many networks offer the ability to advertise to previous visitors to your site – always utilize this feature! Combine remarketing with location targeting for incredible results.
- Daypart – Only run ads for all locations at the same time IF they all exist in the same time zone. Using a sub-account for each location makes this easier to manage. Also, spend time optimizing towards peak hours and open hours for each location.
- Interests and Keywords – The availability of detailed audience segments in networks such as Facebook and GDN are astounding. These are compiled using search and browsing behavior, alongside personal attributes.
Dynamic Creative Improves Results
When programmatic buying strategy and visual marketing work together as a pair, magical things happen. Localized display ads see 315% higher click-through rates, when compared to national display ads.***
Think about using the same data-rich signals that inform your campaign setup directly in your display ad. Start with address and city of the location, then consider folding in location-level promotions, inventory levels, and hours of operation. Use dynamic images to further customize local advertising. Use photos of local landmarks, or a photo of the actual location or manager to build relevance with local consumers. Brands with independent distributors will often dynamically insert the local logo, to boost recognition.
Rely on an automation platform, like Balihoo, to create localized display ads at scale and update them daily based on daily conditions such as weather or inventory levels.
Why Automation is Critical
When you can no longer optimize display campaigns for EACH location as if it was your ONLY location, you’ve gone too long without an automation strategy.
- It’s Efficient – Marketing managers save 90% of campaign setup and maintenance time when switching to automation.
- It’s Real-Time: – Automation platforms such as Balihoo can pull 3rd party data from almost any source and use it to trigger campaigns, adjust targeting, and update creative.
- It’s Optimized: by allowing automation to create, maintain, and end all of your campaigns across all of your locations, you’re conserving all of your time for optimization, which is a critical component for continued ROI gains.
For every campaign you run, Balihoo builds hundreds or thousands of customized, geo-specific versions of your professionally developed display ads. This means you receive the benefit of increased performance that a local strategy affords, while avoiding the headache of generating individual design files.
And, since we integrate with AdWords, Bing, Facebook, and Instagram, you know your campaigns are achieving the broadest reach, using the most precise targeting technologies in the market.
With Balihoo, location-based mobile advertising becomes not only possible, but incredibly efficient and effective.
- Ipsos MediaCT sponsored by Google, 2014 Ad/Doubleclick for comScore